Who We Are
We are a community made up of families and singles, young and old, and we value our common life together. As a Christ-centered, sacramental, charismatic church, our goal is to play our part in the transformation of society and the redeeming of culture. We welcome you to join us in this great mission. Whether you're looking for a new church home or exploring the Christian faith, know that you're welcome here.
We are an orthodox, evangelical, liturgical, sacramental, charismatic, expression of the Body of Christ.
Christ Church seeks to:
- Release compassion and proclaim the Good News in our church, surrounding community and the world
- Offer a safe place to those exploring Christianity
- Build community and reverse cultural trends toward isolation
- Grow believers who radically fulfill God’s kingdom purposes in all areas of life
- Encounter and adore Christ through biblical, sacramental, and liturgical worship experiences
We will always have questions, but in the two foundational statements of faith – the Apostles’ Creed used at baptism, and the Nicene Creed used at communion – we join Christians throughout the ages in affirming our faith in the one God who created us, redeemed us, and sanctifies us.
To read the creeds, go here.
Organized as Saint John’s Mission of Saint John’s Cathedral – first service in Kent School, South University Blvd. and East Hampden Avenue, Sunday, March 16, 1952, the Very Reverend Paul Roberts, Dean, Saint John’s Cathedral, officiating, assisted by the Reverend Gerrit S. Barnes, Deacon.
Construction on site at 2460 East Bates Avenue began July, 1953. First service in the new building was on January 17, 1954. Dedication of the structure was on February 7, 1954, by the Right Reverend Harold L. Bowen, D.D., Bishop of Colorado.
Saint John’s Mission became a mission of the Diocese of Colorado on November 20, 1955, and was named Christ Chapel by the Right Reverend Joseph S. Minnis, D.D., Bishop of Colorado. The Congregation was constituted a parish and named Christ Church at the 70th Annual Convention of the Diocese of Colorado, Denver, on May 15, 1956.
The Reverend Gerrit S. Barnes, who was ordained to the Priesthood on May 4, 1952, and had served the congregation since its beginning, was called to be the first Rector and was instituted as Rector by the Right Reverend Joseph S. Minnis, D.D., Bishop of Colorado, on October 4, 1956. Father Barnes retired on January 31, 1974, and the Reverend H. David Wilson became the second Rector of Christ Church on February 1, 1974.
The groundbreaking for the new building and addition to the original structure was December 11, 1960. Remodeling of the original building began on July 24, 1961. The first service in the new Sanctuary and Nave took place October 15, 1961. The dedication of the new building was October 29, 1961, by the Right Reverend Joseph S. Minnis, D.D., Bishop of Colorado.
In September of 1977, construction began on an administrative wing with Chapel and Conference Room connecting the north and south wings. It was completed in April, 1978, and the new wing was dedicated and the Chapel consecrated and named after St. Julian of Norwich, by the Right Reverend William C. Frey, D.D., Bishop of Colorado, April 23, 1978.
In 1990, we dedicated our much larger worship space, music/meeting room, commons area, classrooms, and youth room. In 2013, Father McGugan was called to be the 6th Rector of Christ Church.