Join Christ Church
This is a part-time, 29 hours per week position reporting to the Director of Christian Formation.
This position provides ministry leadership for the Junior High and Senior High students of the church. The Director is responsible for recruiting and developing an engaged team of volunteer leaders, infusing passion and vision for the ministry. The Director also organizes and oversees all related curriculum, programs, and activities, growing the reach of the ministry beyond the church walls. As an important part of the job, the Director fosters strong connections with the young people for mentoring and discipleship while maintaining effective communication with parents and church leadership.
- Recruit and train a team of adult lay leaders to help develop strategies and activities, interact directly with students, and contribute to the spiritual growth and development of the young people.
- Identify leadership potential in the young people and provide opportunities for leadership activities.
- Create and encourage a welcoming, inclusive, and caring atmosphere for everyone from the church and the community.
- Foster a team spirit with other church staff, the Vestry, and parents.
- Plan, organize, and oversee overall programming to ensure a balance of development in spirit, mind, body, character, and social fun.
- Develop, lead, and oversee creative, intentional Sunday morning curriculum.
- Develop, lead, and oversee fun yet challenging Wednesday evening youth programs.
- Plan and lead young people in both spiritual and social outreach functions in the community.
- Plan and lead special youth events or services such as those around special holidays like Christmas and Easter.
- As needed, plan and lead special activities such as retreats and mission trips.
Mentoring and Discipleship
- Actively foster an environment of mentoring, discipleship, and biblical study through both small group and large group interactions.
- Develop a mentoring program linking interested and promising individuals with strong Christian leaders for discipleship training, biblical study, prayer, and life coaching.
- Meet and counsel individuals as needed.
- Maintain ongoing contact with the young people through social media
- Have a consistent presence in the lives of youth at schools, sporting activities, and other events as much as possible.
- Participate with youth through the confirmation process.
- Participate in the budget process with intent and intelligence.
- Operate programs within acceptable budget parameters.
- Coordinate with the Communications Director as needed for ongoing and ad-hoc communication needs.
- Conduct or contribute to various levels of staff meetings.
- Fully use tools on the church’s web site, software, and other social media for group communications.
- Develop ways to help reach out, track, and communicate with newcomers.
- Learn and adhere to operational and financial policies, procedures, and practices.
- Follow Diocesan safety guidelines and ensure safe practices in all youth activities.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
- Minimum 5 years of youth ministry experience.
- Outstanding people skills.
- Strong leadership and staff development skills.
- Demonstrated giftedness in youth relations.
- Ability to teach scripture and biblical concepts within a youth setting.
- Strong organizational ability.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and activities while meeting deadlines.
- Personal initiative; creativity; and innovative thinking.
- Skills in developing and implementing ministry strategies for the personal growth and development of young people.
- Ability to lead or foster worship and musical praise within youth groups.
- Wisdom to know how and when to set boundaries to protect individuals and the integrity of programs and Christ Church.
- Christian character that reflects and embodies Christian values
- Service-oriented attitude of assisting and serving others
- Professional and pleasant attitude
- Teachable nature and humility balanced with confidence and assertiveness
- Ability to pass background checks
Education or Formal Training
- Minimum Bachelors Degree in ministry related field; Masters Degree or pursuit of Masters Degree preferred.
To apply, please send your resumé or an email expressing your interest to Don Thornton, Church Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Job descriptions are not intended, and should not be construed, to be exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. They are meant to be accurate reflections of the principal job elements essential for making fair pay decisions.
This is a full time position reporting to the Rector.
We are actively looking for an ordained Episcopal priest who shares our unique identity. To a greater or lesser degree we are a charismatic, evangelical, orthodox, liturgical Episcopal Church. We seek someone who is comfortable with all those expressions of faith and particularly someone who shares our charismatic identity. We desire someone who has specific experience in building and overseeing dynamic small group ministry, leadership development, and equipping the church to reach beyond its walls and engage in substantive ways the community around us. In addition the associate would share in the responsibilities of facilitating the ministry and life of the parish inside our walls, such as worship, pastoral care, teaching and administration. We seek someone who can build leadership and ministry structures which multiply efforts in ministry both inside and outside our walls. We seek someone with a strong work ethic and high capacity to work with challenging expectations. Our desire is to have an associate who will come alongside our rector and be part of our executive team.
● Lead the development and long range sustainability of Small Group Ministry.
● Lead the development and long range sustainability of community engagement ministries.
● Lead the Ministry Leadership Team which oversees the ministry program side of the church.
● Share with other clergy in the liturgical, preaching and pastoral care responsibilities of the church.
● Supervise paid and lay leaders in areas of oversight.
● Lead administrative leadership teams as assigned by the rector.
● Share in the teaching of the faith within the life of the parish.
● Participate in leadership group meetings, (Staff, Vestry, Ministry Leadership Team).
● Work with the rector and leadership teams in the high level strategic, generative, innovative and creative planning for the life of Christ Church.
● Participate in the ministry and life of the Diocese by attending meetings, conventions, retreats and trainings, and serving on committees and councils of the diocese as agreed upon with the rector.
Specific Experiences and Competencies
● Ordained and canonically resident in a Diocese of the Episcopal Church.
● 3-5 years experience in parish ministry as an ordained priest.
● Preferred 3 yrs experience and expertise in leadership development, small group ministry, community engagement, and ministry development.
● Experience and competence in areas of leading worship, preaching and pastoral care.
● Highly developed personal prayer life and deep biblical knowledge.
To be considered, please send your letter of introduction and curriculum vitae to Lisa McFarland, Executive Administrative Assistant.